Friday, May 21, 2010

Maine Travel: "Guaranteed" Moose sighting at Sandy Stream Pond

When visiting Maine, many people come with some preconceived notion that the state is just overrun with moose. By the look of the souvenir shops, you’d think that the creatures are in everyone’s backyards, tethered to hitching posts, knocking over trashcans, and creating extensive traffic issues throughout the state. As a native Mainer, I can tell you that this is not the case. Spotting a moose is a rarity. I see deer, fox, and coyotes much more often than I’ve ever seen moose. So when my boyfriend said that there’d be “guaranteed” moose sightings if we went to Baxter Park’s Sandy Stream Pond, I was skeptical.






Exit 244 off of Interstate 95, about an hour and 15 minutes north of Bangor, will take you into Millinocket, Maine. On your left as you go through town is the Baxter State Park office of the reservation clerk. We found it very helpful to stop in. The woman at the counter was able to call ahead to the Togue Pond gate house and reserve us a parking spot at the Roaring Brook Campground parking lot. Allow yourself a half hour from Millinocket to the Togue Pond Gate. On the way, you can’t miss Pockwockamus Rock. It’s a huge rock by the side of the road that’s painted with Keep Maine Beautiful over a scene of a stream, black bear, and the mountain beyond. One side of it is painted with rainbows and birds.



Once you’ve parked, follow the signs. The trail is well marked. You’ll cross over Roaring Brook, its cold clear water running over smooth river rocks. It’s a short hike into the woods to Sandy Stream Pond on a well worn trail. Relatively level, it is an easy walk in the woods.



The day in June that we arrived at the pond, a few groups of visitors were scattered on the protective boardwalks but it was far from crowded. Before us and beyond the pond, there is was Mount Katahdin. Just as my husband had promised, there was a moose in the pond. A cow, she stood chest deep in the water, alternating between submerging her head into the water and chewing the grass she pulled up from the bottom. For the couple of hours we stayed at the pond, she moved very little, only to find fresh grass. I took photos, many of them, but as evidenced by my photographs here, I didn’t yet have my zoom lens. We had packed a lunch and sat to enjoy it on a large rock on the edge of the pond. The whole time, the moose ate and dunked, ate and dunked, as if we – and the other groups of hikers – weren’t even there. Eventually she walked out of the pond and into the woods.



When you go to Baxter State Park to see moose at Sandy Stream Pond, be sure to bring bug spray. The mosquitoes are huge and the horseflies could carry you away.

You can find detailed directions, park hours, and reservation information here: 

http://www.mtkatahdin.com//


http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Enjoy your visit! 




Ice Cream pitstop:

In Lincoln, south of Millinocket, there’s a great ice cream (and car wash) called Gilmor Farms. I had the Almond Joy, which was lusciously coconutty. My daughter had cotton candy, which she loved, and my husband had the – get this – Teaberry ice cream. Teaberry gum was my favorite when I was a kid and had I seen it on the menu, I surely would have ordered that. It was cool and smooth, just like I had remembered. My husband devoured it quickly despite his claim to be “not much for ice cream.”   You can bet that we'll return for more when we go back to Baxter State Park.  http://gillmorfarm.com/sitemap.aspx  Check out the flavors list!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. My wife and I did exactly as you said and we saw moose! The rangers were big nay Sayers and said it was the wrong time of the year. Too bad for them. The moose were there at Sandy Stream pond. Watched them for over an hour...wonderful!

    Thank you,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete