Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hotel Room Review: Henley Park Hotel Washington DC

Get tucked in at the Henley Park Hotel

I enjoyed the opportunity to spend a few days at the Henley Park Hotel in Washington D.C.  I was in the city to participate in a travel show, the Travel & Adventure show, in March held at the Washington Convention Center. For most of these events, exhibitors are given information about hotels nearby which will discount rates for the show. I normally tend to stay at chain hotels when I go to these shows. I am usually traveling alone and feel a certain security in the familiar. Boutique or specialty hotels are generally out of my budget range, too.

For this Washington DC show, I was part of a foursome representing the Maine Office of Tourism. One of the other members happened across the Henley Park Hotel online, took a look at the rates and the location, and decided to book his room there. He emailed the rest of us and after very little hesitation, the others changed their reservations. I figured that with the others there, I felt some sense of safety. The rates were lower and saved us about $200 off the four night stay and it was a couple of blocks closer to the Washington Convention Center.
 

Welcome to the Henley Park Hotel
 From my arrival at the hotel, I was both impressed and at ease. The staff opened doors, helped me with my bag, and checking in was fast and painless. Friendly too. The main lobby, though not the cavernous entries I've seen at other properties, was beautiful. Marble tile floors, immense floral arrangements, dark colonial style furnishings, it was stunning.

I've written more about the hotel property itself, the restaurant, lounge and parlor on my photography blog. This post will review the room itself.

The Henley Park Hotel was built in 1918 as an apartment building named the Tudor Hall, "a grand residence favored by senators, congressmen and other notables of Washington society."

Like many older hotels, the room I was given was pretty small. I was on a budget, went for the least expensive room available at the time, and wasn't expecting an expansive suite nor a view of the city. My room overlooked the glass topped dining room. Again, this was fine with me, just a head's up for those of you who travel with different expectations.  My only other complaint about the room was that it was a bit dark. Not too dark to hang out and watch TV and relax after a day of sightseeing, but a little dim for working. Besides that, everything else about the room was great.

Here's a little tour:

The bed, mini bar and window
Chair with lamp



The room had a closet with a safe, hangers, and a robe.
The ironing board, safe, extra coffee cups

Nice waffle cotton robe


Flat screen TV, door to bathroom




The bathroom


Work desk

Very comfy bed
 The details:

The mini fridge was stocked every day. I don't drink so I took out the beers, wine, liquor bottles. About a block away is a CVS where I got bottled waters, seltzers, and fruit and yogurt. I did open and consume the tin of smokehouse almonds, which I love, despite the $8 mini bar outrageous price. 

sodas, beer, juice, wine in the mini bar

a nice array of liquors - if you're into that sort of thing.

coffee, nuts, water and a bottle of wine.


The bathroom wasn't huge but it was bright and clean. I love the brand of toiletries they had, nice smelling from Bath and Body Works. Plenty of towels, nice fixtures and lots of hot water. 



I ran a bath the first night I was there.
Maybe the second night, too.


Not a very comfortable bathtub, really, but soaking in hot water does something for the soul. 

I ordered room service the first night and was thrilled at how fast it arrived, the friendliness of the gentleman who delivered it, and how tasty it was. A simple burger can be a wonderful thing. 

The Henley Park Hotel was a very nice hotel for my time in Washington. I would recommend it to anyone who asks. The price I had for the room was very reasonable, although I did read somewhere that prices are normally much higher but that rates were adjusted to account for the construction across the street. I didn't hear a thing, but hotel offered earplugs to help with "city noise".

The room I was in, in the center of the hotel, didn't allow much for noise. Being March, it wasn't as if I was throwing open the windows. My experience was that it was quiet, and I slept well.

I found the staff very helpful and friendly. The hotel was gorgeous and the location allowed me to walk easily to the convention center and to Chinatown. The Metro is nearby as well.

Great hotel - Worth a try!





1 comment:

  1. Escape the monotony of standard chain hotels. Discover a retreat that blends historic luxury and gracious service with the modern comforts today's traveler expects. A member of the prestigious Historic Hotels of America, The Henley Park Hotel was originally an apartment building named the Tudor Hall, a grand residence favored by senators, congressmen and other notables of Washington society. Today, the hotel’s 96 recently renovated room and suite accommodations are a showcase of sophistication and English manor décor. Sample award-winning cuisine at our Zagat-rated The Tavern at Henley Park or relax by the fire in the Wilkes Room, our traditional drawing room. With three Metro stations within walking distance, all of Washington DC is at your doorstep - from the White House, the National Mall, and the Smithsonian to Chinatown and Verizon Center. Be sure to check our government hotel rates and the lodging specials when booking your downtown DC business trip or vacation. spain

    ReplyDelete