Monday, October 1, 2012

On the road: I love hotels



Comfy bed at Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel



I love hotels.  It may sound strange but I do.  Maybe it’s all the hoteliness of it all.  The beds made with fresh sheets and extra pillows.  The shower and tub all sparkly clean with nice fluffy towels.  All of the efficient, little shampoos and soaps.  And the best – the very best part – is that I don’t have to clean up!  The used towels disappear, the beds get made, and all is reset as if by elves.  

Awesome bed at Boston Park Plaza hotel

  Okay, I know that not all hotels are perfect and traveling on a budget as I do, I’ve had my share of crappy hotel stays.  I read reviews and check out the star ratings of the places I stay and do my best to select locations that are safe, clean, and try hard, even if they’re not part of the chain hotels.  I think that’s important.  On vacation, we stayed at the Americana Hotel in Arlington VA.  TripAdvisor.com reviewers said it was run down, yes, but inexpensive in an expensive market (Washington DC) and clean and friendly.  For the most part, they were right.  The front desk staff was attentive and very helpful, not acquiring the glazed over look of the frazzled, phone juggling, direction giving, name tag wearing, maintenance calling, folks I’ve met in some of the chains.  The breakfast area in the lobby looked recently remodeled but a bit cramped, but you can tell they were trying . . . donuts, muffins, cereal and good hot coffee.  We stayed there after having spent a week in a Wyndham Clubs resort in Williamsburg, VA, which was awesome, spacious, and generous, like a perfect little home away from home for us.   

In room coffee at Seaport Boston Hotel

So in comparison, the Americana Hotel in Arlington had a few things that were starkly differentiating.  Much smaller space (2 br condo vs. 1 room hotel with 3 people and perhaps you get the picture), no refrigerator or microwave (these are things I’m coming to require in a room-maybe I’m asking too much), really – I mean really – small bathroom with very little counter space or shelf space to put out our toiletries, a rattling and noisy air conditioner, and kind of a damp mustiness that I may have been imagining, but probably not.  But in its defense, the room at the Americana Hotel, had a great flowing shower and that noisy air conditioner kept the steamy summer temps nice and cool.  And with rates at just over half the cost of other hotels in the area, I can see why it is a regular traveler’s favorite in the area.  I would recommend it if you can deal with the dated but squeaky clean yellow tile in the bathroom and the not flat screen TV.  If you’re looking for a place to crash after a day of visiting the Smithsonian Museums and other capitol sites, this was fine.  It was within walking distance to the Metro and a mall and plenty of restaurants.  

Bed at Hampton Inn Chicopee MA

The hotel I’m staying in at the moment is the Hampton Inn in Chicopee, Massachusetts.  I’m here because the tourism organization that I work for, The Maine Highlands, is exhibiting at The Big E, which I wrote about a couple of weeks ago, in anticipation of my pilgrimage.  New in my position last year, I hadn’t booked rooms for my group as far in advance as is needed and found myself booking here in Chicopee which is a bit further from the fairgrounds than most exhibitors like to be, therefore rooms were available at the last minute.  This year I booked a room closer to the fair for my volunteers, but having had a great experience here last year, booked myself at the Hampton Inn in Chicopee.  

When I got here yesterday afternoon, I was really glad I did book here.  Within the last year, the lobby has had a fabulous makeover.  They moved the free breakfast zone from the main lobby area to a separate room off of the lobby.  The free breakfast is one of the draws for me.  Another is the free hot coffee available 24/7.  At night, I get 2 cups robust coffee black to take to my room.  I like to have coffee first thing in the morning, and am not into getting dressed to go downstairs for coffee.  When my husband is with me, he does that (he’s one of those morning people) but on my own, I get the coffee, some creamers, and a cup of tea for that evening, then in the morning, I microwave the coffee (I know I know – not everyone likes microwave coffee and I’m usually one of those people but I’d rather have microwaved coffee than have to get dressed).  The room, a regular room, not a suite or anything, is comfortable, feels clean, and has the stuff I love in a hotel room – fridge, microwave, large desk with free wifi – a huge plus – beds with four pillows on each bed, a fluffy white duvet, a cool lap desk so I can write in bed, big TV with Showtime, and nice complimentary toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.  Plenty of towels, lots of light, a big comfy chair, huge closet, and rooms to spread out all my stuff.  I travel with a lot of stuff.  Breakfast this morning was a filling mix of scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, one of those pour-flip-sizzle waffles, mixed fresh fruit, and yep, more coffee.  They also had a three tiered display case of pastries, muffins, bagels and breads and three kinds of cereal.  I like to fill up at breakfast so that I can go for a while without having to stop to eat. 
Oh and the showers . . . its so nice to take a shower without that pesky having-to-leave-hot-water-for-others thing. 

The absolute best thing:  I don’t have to do dishes.  

Or slice or chop or negotiate and serve.  

efficiency kitchen at Best Western Chocolate Lake Halifax NS
It’s a mini vacation.  Ok, I haven’t been lounging by the pool or waiting in lines for a thrill ride or museum, but the little niceties of a good hotel room make it feel like that.  At home, there’s always some nagging chore that needs attention, something I have to tend to, work to be done.  In a hotel room that work might still need doing but unless you took it with you, you simply can’t do it.  You MUST sink back into the pillows and mush your mind with Honey Boo-Boo.  And in the morning, there’s no delay that comes from starting a load of laundry before work or getting the recycling out before the truck rolls around the corner. 
So for you my dear readers, I will suffer through trade show season staying at a variety of hotels along the way and when I can pull myself out of the plush mountain of pillows, I will write about them. 
I’d love to hear about what you love about hotels.    

Big pile of pillows at Hampton Inn
   

Written at the smooth and spacious desk in room 216 Hampton Inn Chicopee Massachusetts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment