Monday, June 28, 2010

Maine Travel: Just another friday night in Old Orchard Beach

Friday night I was driving to my parent’s house in Biddeford, Maine. I had a two and a half hour drive and listened to public radio most of the way. Nearing Portland, I put in a cd and found myself cruising through the city tapping the steering wheel along to the Zac Brown band’s “Toes” – got my toes in the water, ass in the sand . . . not a worry in the world . . .” and it put me in the “Life’s too short” mindset for the rest of the trip. I decided that I would swoop in and pick up Nola and take her “down the beach” that night. It was a gorgeous early summer night, warm, with a light breeze. I knew about the Spirit of America Balloon Festival that was going on over the weekend.




“Down the beach” is the local lingo for going to Old Orchard Beach. When you live in the area, you pretty much stay away from OOB (another local description) during the summer. For us kids, it was a once a year thing. Go down the beach, walk around, go out on the pier for some “Pier Fries”, ride a few rides, play a game or two and be done with it. As a teen, going to OOB was a thing you tried to do Friday nights, as a group of girls to go chase down the boys. In college, it was a source of employment for me and a few other local kids. I sold music in a little walk up booth right on the street. I think I made $200 a week managing the place for its owner who lived in New Hampshire. I have good memories of working down there. I even met my first husband there. He and a bunch of college students from Canada had come to work for the summer.



Old Orchard Beach is a community of about 9,000 year round residents, according to their website. The part I’m talking about is the main drag as they say, Old Orchard Ave and East Grand and West Grand Avenues branching off in their respective directions parallel to the beachfront. The amusement park is right on the beachfront. Lights flashing, bells ringing, kiddie rides, bumper cars, roller coaster, and games galore. It is quite the place.



We went straight out on the beach to check out the balloons. A live band was playing in the square and booths were set up selling balloon memorabilia. At sunset, a “Moon Glow” was scheduled. We went out to join the crowd watching the balloon crews, waiting for inflation. After a while we walked through Palace Playland, winding around the kiddie rides and game hawkers. My daughter rode the roller coaster there. One of the nice things about Palace Playland is that you can buy tickets for rides individually. It’s not necessary to buy a whole day pass. It certainly is more economical to do so, but if you’re there for a couple of hours, it’s nice to be able to just do a ride or two, eat some cotton candy, and while away an evening.



We got some Pier Fries (vinegar and salt please!) and went back out on the beach. There was a light breeze and though it felt nice and warm, it was enough to keep the balloons from going up. They stayed grounded and we played in the sand near the Pier with a full moon over the water. Later we went up on the Pier for some kettle corn and an awesome fresh, gooey, caramel apple rolled in coconut. We walked up the street one side and down the other. I showed Nola whereabouts I met her father. The building is long gone, overgrown with brush and empty. Stores there are still selling some of the same things they did 25 years ago; T shirts and sweatshirts and just about anything else that you can decal with Old Orchard Beach. Bikinis. Beach mats. Sunglasses. All the same stuff in stores bright and lit up to attract customers.



To me, its fun once in a while to be in the midst of that carnival madness. It was a beautiful night spent with my daughter at a place we rarely visit, mainly because of its proximity. Places in your backyard are seldom appreciated as much as those far away. Sometimes it’s good to make that little connection with the past and create some memories to share in the future.



If you’re in southern Maine at any time, it’s worth a trip to Old Orchard Beach. The beach itself is sandy, wide and a great place to park for a day. It’s a bonus to have all of that fun stuff a few steps away.



Here’s their website: http://www.oobmaine.com/



1 comment:

  1. Hi Celeste,

    My name is Jocelyn and I am with Dwellable. I am looking for fun and authentic blogs about Old Orchard Beach and yours happened to catch my eye. If you’re open to it, shoot me an e-mail at jocelyn(at)dwellable(dot)com.

    Hope to hear from you soon!
    - Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete